This house was built by our Hall ancestors probably in
the first half of the 1800s. The house was on the
Little Tennesse River at Hall’s Ferry (The Hall family
ran a ferry across the river in the 1800s). Mom’s
great- grandfather, James Crawford Hall, was raised in
the house and farm. When he later married mom’s
great-grandmother, Louisa Qualls Barksdale Hall in
1871 they remained at the house and raised their
children there. James Crawford Hall was a successful
farmer and breeder of race horses. In 1891 James
Crawford bought a large amount of land that included a
large house from the Monroe County Commission. This
land would soon become Vonore. In 1895, he, his wife,
and their two youngest children, Artie Lou Hall and
Ben Hall, moved to the house on their newly bought
land. James Crawford gave the Hall house on the river
to his son, mom’s grandfather, Nicholas Barksdale
Hall, and his new wife, mom’s grandmother, Maggie
Henley Hall. Nicholas and Maggie farmed the land and
raised their children (including mom’s mother) in the
Hall house until the early 1930’s when the Vonore bank
went bust and Nick and Maggie lost the farm by the
river. A man named Ramsey later bought the farm and
house and then it was later sold to a man named Blair.
This man could have been Judge John Blair, who later
rented the property to the Blankenship family in the
1930s and 1940s. The land was later bought up by TVA,
and they torn down the house. Part of the land is now
below water. The other part now is the site of the
Sea Ray boat factory.