Hall History
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

HALL, James Nicholas Barksdale

Male 1872 - 1943


«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next»     » Slide Show



Shown (left to right) Maggie Henley Hall holding Allan Mack Hall, Frances Hall Isbill Lottie Hall Horner and Nicholas Barksdale Hall. This house was built by our Hall ancestors probably in the first half of the 1800s. The house was on the Little Tennesse River at Hall’s Ferry (The Hall family ran a ferry across the river in the 1800s). James Crawford Hall was a successful farmer and breeder of race horses. In 1891 James Crawford bought a large amount of land that included a large house from the Monroe County Commission. This land would soon become Vonore. In 1895, he, his wife,and their two youngest children, Artie Lou Hall and Ben Hall, moved to the house on their newly bought land. James Crawford gave the Hall house on the river to his son, mom’s grandfather, Nicholas Barksdale Hall, and his new wife, mom’s grandmother, Maggie Henley Hall. Nicholas and Maggie farmed the land and raised their children (including mom’s mother) in the Hall house until around 1920 when Nick and Maggie lost the farm by the river. According to Aunt Judy, a Henley cousin was entrusted with the money to pay the Hall farm's property taxes, but he paid the taxes on his own farm with the money instead. A man named Ramsey later bought the farm and house and then it was later sold to a man named Blair.This man could have been Judge John Blair, who later rented the property to the Blankenship family in the1930s and 1940s. The land was later bought up by TVA,and they torn down the house. Part of the land is now below water. The other part now is the site of the Sea Ray boat factory.

File nameNickandMaggieHenleyHallHouse-1.jpg
File Size
Dimensions x
Linked toHALL, James Nicholas Barksdale; TIPTON, Jacob

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next»     » Slide Show